Tuesday, December 6, 2011

CS3 Extended Plugin Error Message

I'm trying to write a 3D file format plugin for PS CS3 Extended, and whenever I remove

a certain plugin, U3D.8BI, from the Plug-Ins directory, I always get the error message:



''Could not complete the New Layer From 3D File command because of a program error.''



when trying to add a new 3D layer with any plugin (.3ds, .dae, .obj, etc..)



Why is this particular plugin required to be in the Plug-Ins directory?

It seems like nothing will work if it isn't in there.



Is this a bug?
CS3 Extended Plugin Error Message
Updating to version 10.0.1 does not help either.



The New Layer From 3D File command is broken when the Universal U3D.8BI plugin is

removed from the \Plug-Ins\File Formats directory. I hope someone can fix this.
CS3 Extended Plugin Error Message
Um, maybe I'm missing something, but why would you remove an Adobe

supplied plug-in which clearly does something important, and why would

you complain when things break as a result? Why would you consider

this a bug?



Aandi Inston

I noticed this bug because I removed all 3D plugins from the directory prior to testing.



The Universal U3D.8BI plugin is just another file format, like Collada or Max, so

it shouldn't break the import tool if it's removed.



In fact, I can remove all plugins, except Universal U3D.8BI, and it still works.

Something is obviously wrong.

I doubt Adobe would consider it a bug. Many products implement core

functions in required plug-ins. Still maybe someone knows different.



Aandi Inston

What I think is happening, is that Photoshop has adopted this Universal format as its default format.

The program is specifically looking for the existence of this file, and gives up if it can't find it.



The Universal plugin itself contains no essential functionality. It's just another file format.

I'm just saying Photoshop should handle the default case better and not break.

No comments:

Post a Comment